Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day One

   

Okay back to the day.  Funny how it seems to relevant to pay particular attention to the occurrences of now, and not even worry about what happened earlier.

This morning my bike chain fell off, it rained, I listened to the radio, press moleded a bunch of clay forms, did carpentry work, cooked great food, and fixed my bike chain (this is going to be such a strange project).

In all seriousness, today January 1st I learned  that in 2010 and 2011 as many American soldiers committed suicide as died in combat.  Now I do not aim to be overly political, but this just astounded me.  To try and understand how terrible war is in terms of deadliness is one thing, but very few times have I given thought to how traumatic it is mentally.  I learned this from the Smiley and West broadcast on NPR, which is a show hosted by Tavis Smiley and Cornel West.

I in no way want to diminish the tragedy of such events by trying to relate them to me, but as this project is about introspection I have an idea about how to symbolize this notion.  I am going to hand write on the forms all the feelings and emotions that I think would make me consider committing suicide.  With this in mind though, I think it would be equally as meaningful for me to also write the things that I live for, because I do not want to only think about the things in this world that make me sad.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am pretty happy most days, and do not mind too much when I am sad, which makes me happy.

Followers