Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Twenty plus 3

Tonight I went to listen to a prominent art historian in Pittsburgh.  A few things of note.

The lecture was held at a certain University.  I was astounded by all the people, diversity, energy, and social happening.  Where WVU is so diffused and spread out, this was condensed like a hive.  I enjoyed the feeling very much.  So much potential.

The talk was really interesting.  After reading James Elkins' books I had imagined him to be super intellectual and a bit stuffy, but he was just the opposite, funny and personable.  He was basically describing the way in which vision works, and he went on to give many examples of different types of vision within nature.  In the end the talk was geared to do two things.  Show just how complex the act of sight is (and in turn just how complex life is), and secondly he discussed how we often do not visually see  things unless we are aware of their existence, or understand them conceptually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am pretty happy most days, and do not mind too much when I am sad, which makes me happy.

Followers